Grounds prior to professionalism
|Brian Clough statue in Albert Park|
Middlesbrough FC were formed in 1876 and played their early matches at Albert Park in the town (see image). Sadly, only after 2 years after damage had been inflicted to the grounds by players and supporters alike, the park committee insisted the club find alternative accommodation.
They moved to Breckon Hill where again they only stayed for 2 years, deciding to move when the owner decided to increase the rent. Breckon Hill was located behind the present-day
campus. Middlesbrough College
Their next home, from 1882 was at the Lindthorpe Road Ground, which at the time was also the home of the Middlesbrough Cricket Club. The cricket club however decided to move out a year or so into the joint tenancy, ironically to the Breckon Hill ground, leaving the football club as the sole users of the facility.
In 1903, upon entry to the Football League and the fact that the club was attracting higher numbers of supporters requiring a more substantial venue, they moved to
where they were to
remain for 92 years. Ayresome
Designed and constructed by legendary Scottish football stadium architect Archibald Leitch,
was built at Paradise Field, adjacent to the stadium of Middlesbrough
Ironopolis, who had been members of the Football League back in the 1890’s. Ayresome Park
The highest attendance at the ground was set in 1949 when 53,802 crammed into the stadium for a match against local rivals Newcastle United.
|Aerial shot of Ayresome Park in 1982|
In 1994, plans were released for a new stadium to be located at the Middlehaven site, on the banks of the River Tees. Construction began that autumn, with the facility being completed in time for the start of the 1995-6 season.
Constructed by Taylor Woodrow at a cost of £16 million, the Riverside Stadium was built in a period of 32 weeks. Holding a current capacity of 35,100 the club has the permission of the local council to increase this limit by approx 7,000 should it be so required.
In 2005, the club resurrected the old
gates which were famously locked
when the club briefly went into liquidation in 1986 (see images). Ayresome Park